Sunday, May 1, 2011

Ceramics projects pt. 1

Left to Right: ceramic rattle spherething, coil vase, slab box, and poogie.

I'm currently taking a Ceramics 1 course at school. I've made quite a few projects already!
  • Rattle Sphere with oxide wash
  • Coil Vase using engobe and sgraffito with a clear glaze
  • "autobiography" slab box with color glazes
  • poogie from Monster Hunter (not a class project)
These are only the ones that I have completely finished and have taken home. There's alot of photos, so please click "Read More" to see closeup photos and descriptions of each project!
       




This was the first project I got to take home. It's a hollow sphere, walls are about half an inch thick.. Inside there are small ceramic balls which make the sphere rattle when you shake it. The carving is supposed to resemble a temari ball (temari, mari, get it get it?) and the black color is an oxide wash! It was made by attaching two small hand-made bowls of clay, and then carving them.

Made this in Clay Club. Not painted, sadly. It's poogie, the little pig from Monster Hunter. Made by attaching two bowls, then adding all the extra parts lol~

Most recently finished project. I'm feeling so-so about the outcome of this. It looked alot better before the glaze was fired lol~ The point of the project was to design it in an "autobiopgraphical" way. Anything went aslong as it had something to do with you. I decided to make my theme be all my inspirations. This was made by simply making slabs of clay and attaching them, then carving or applying clay. The lid is removable, and the inside is red.

Walt Disney! This is a pretty memorable shot from the first Fantasia movie. Originally, I had painted it so that there was a smooth blend of colors from a light blue at the center, to a dark blue at the outer parts of the side. Sadly, after being in the kiln (that's a clay oven for y'alls), the colors didn't show up too well.

Supposed to be Shiina Ringo, as shown on the album art for Sanmon Gossip.The fact that Shiina Ringo has such talent even during her highschool years really inspired me! Once again, this also looked better before the colors went through the kiln. In the end, this side didn't look much like the original thanks to the stupid color change..

Meant to be Mirai Suenaga of DannyChoo.com. The kiln fucked this one up pretty badly. It really did not come out well... Geez, it looks like her face is bleeding.

This side represents Asano Inio. This is a specific shot from the manga, and the scanlation group I used used this image for their credits alot, so I always connected this image with Oyasumi Punpun and Asano Inio's work. The marker originally fell off, but I glued it back. This was my 2nd Punpun cameo in my projects lol.






This one was my favorite project. I actually sketched the design for this.... while high.
One side of the vase (which is ~8inches tall) shows some trees, and a small Punpun looking at a shooting star through his telescope. The other side shows three children and a dog, holding hands while looking out at a very near planet with many moooons~ (that's the side I designed while high, if it wasn't obvious.)

  
closeup of punpun

Will post the other projects when I get them.

3 comments:

  1. Love the vase Mari. You seem to put a lot of work into your Punpun projects, lol. Is the top of the inspiration container symbolizing anything anything more than opening it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would really love to have that Punpun vase, it's really nice. I will never be able to make nice custom stuff like this to decorate my room.

    Sadfrog.nds

    ReplyDelete
  3. The lid of the box is actually representing chouchou! However it's just a bunch of black squares (The Babel) so I didn't take a picture of it

    ReplyDelete