Sunday, May 1, 2011

Asano Inio copy sketches

0.7mm and 0.5mm mechanical pencils, printer paper. 
eye-copy from Asano Inio's Oyasumi Punpun.(original)

Many people will tell you that copying is bad. It is. It's really sad when someone takes your artwork and claims it's their own. I'd know, it's happened to me a few times... But I think copying can be good, as long as it's only meant for practice or learning.
There's a certain experience that you get by eye-copying like this. In pencil sketches or when imitation a CG style, I've learned that this is probably THE BEST way to learn an artist's style. Like this, I learned Asano Inio's lines and curves, the way he draws specific things, and the overall process of his art. Asano is my favorite artist and inspiration at the moment, so I was very happy to learn how his art worked.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, this is really nice actually. I don't see anything wrong with copying really. I can't even copy properly, that's how poor my art skills are. When tracing it always ends up wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As far as copying goes, I don't really see much of a problem as long as the author is credited. Like you said, you get a taste of different styles and my end up learning a few things that'll help you down the road in developing yours. As far as the sketch goes, I think you did a really good job on it. Take it from someone who hasn't even seen the manga, save for a few pages, but was still able to easily tell where it was from at first glance.

    ReplyDelete